The New Bern Fire Department began as a fraternal organization and was originally called the "Atlantic Hook & Ladder Company," and was the first chartered fire department in the state of North Carolina. This original company became inactive during the Civil War when many of its volunteers were fighting for the Confederate Army, and noting a need for local firefighters, invading Union forces who had infiltrated and then settled in New Bern during the latter portion of the war, set up a rival company in 1865, the "New Bern Steam Fire Engine Company No. 1." The two companies remained in service well after the Civil War ended, but the initial rivalry between north and south originating companies never dissipated. Both companies would try to "out-do" each other with station equipment upgrades, and both companies regularly competed against each other in state-wide firefighting competitions. (Incidentally, both performed exceedingly well, perhaps due in no small part in an effort to out-do the other rival.)
The original New Bern Artworks, recently renamed and now known as the "Fine Art at Baxters Gallery," is a favorite downtown shopping spot for frequent visitors and first-time vacationers alike. Located in the former Baxters Jewelry Store in the heart of downtown on Pollock Street, the gallery features an eclectic collection which includes original paintings, glass works, ceramics, pottery, sculpture, photography, and jewelry.